Friday, March 13, 2009

Random thoughts on the baby

This has been a roller coaster of emotions for me and getting ready for our baby. I know I mention things about our expectation a lot but this is what is on my mind for the most part.

The beginning of the week I received the bedding (sheets) for the crib and the bassinet. We had already purchased the main bedding for the crib but it only came with one sheet so I had to order three other sheets all in different colors (pink, lilac, and sage) so I can rotate. All of these sheets match the comforter that will go in the crib. I haven't put any of this in the actual crib yet because Nathanael is still in the crib and we decided we would move him out of the crib in May when Alex's parents come visit us. They are bringing us a twin mattress which will go to Nathanael. We already have his part of the bunk beds but we do not have a mattress so we haven't put his bed together yet.

In the sheet order I also ordered some bassinet sheets to go in the bassinet we already had from when we had Isaiah. I decided to take the entire thing apart and give it a good washing and now the entire thing is put back together and has clean sheets on it and is ready for the baby to sleep in it. She will be sleeping in our bedroom for a while so now that is in order and I am so happy to have one less thing to worry about. I am happy to announce that after the bassinet was put back together, I was able to put all of the clean sheets on the bottom storage container along with a dozen cloth diapers and a pack of disposable diapers as well. We are going to attempt the cloth diaper route with this child but we have purchased a pack of regular diapers so I don't have to change the diapers in the middle of the night once we have her sleeping through the night. Everything is conveniently located in the bassinet so I don't have to move around a lot during the night to change sheets and diapers and clothes. Everything is right next to my bed and the wipes container has always been right next to my lamp on my side of the bed so the only thing I really need to do is make sure I can make baskets during the night whether it is a trash basket or dirty laundry basket. I am just kidding but if I was really lazy at that moment that is all I would need to do. And I can speak from experience that I don't really care to move around a lot at night. I usually fall asleep while nursing at night and then I place the baby back in the bassinet. We shall see how this set up works but needless to say I feel accomplished.

As we mentioned yesterday about some purchases we purchased earlier in the week some things have changed. We were excited to finally complete the toy box venture and rearranged two things in the play room and it makes a huge difference. We decided that once the kids are done with toys we are going to use this box for storage for blankets or something because it really is a nice box.

As for the glider I so desperately wanted, I am sadly disappointed. After putting in new batteries to make sure the glider worked I felt that the motor sounded like it was about to die and I just don't feel confident in having my child in a machine that will not work for long. I was very disappointed but I didn't want to go through the process of getting it cleaned up so she can use when it didn't work the way I was expecting it to work. We will be taking the glider back some time this weekend and continue to look. We decided if we can't find another one we will just use the money towards another big ticket item like our triple stroller we are planning on ordering.

Other than that we are getting very excited to meet our baby girl. I am 32 weeks now and we are down to our last 5-8 weeks. Can you believe that we are nearing the end? I can't and that is probably why I am trying to get everything I need in order like the kids room organized, our room organized, the house in general because we will need to adjust a little. I am glad that everyone in the house including the kids are not objecting too much to change. Hopefully it will stay that way when the baby comes.

Oh one last thing before I sign off. The Lord has completely blessed us with some wonderful friends who have offered to be a huge help during the going into labor phase. I was bummed because we were trying to get my sister to come up here to help out a little with these last couple of weeks and that way we had someone to take care of the kids while I was in the hospital but my brother sprained his ankle pretty bad and she ended up becoming his nurse and is staying with him for a little while. Needless to say some friends of ours that we haven't been very good at keeping in touch with on a normal basis (because of our different schedules) has offered to help. As the women (myself and my friend Lara) talk about getting together for a double date at the end of this month, she mentions that I really need to start talking to her on a weekly basis so she can be prepared and we can figure out where everyone will be. Depending on the time of day I go into labor her husband may watch the kids for a little while which should work out because her husband works with my husband and once her schedule frees up she will take the kids and so forth. I am so blessed that even when I think this is going to be a feat in itself with planning logistics around child birth the Lord places our brothers and sisters in our paths.

Hope you have a great weekend and be blessed.

Aleida

2 comments:

Will & Abby's Life said...

What kind of cloth diapers are you looking into? I've been considering cloth diapering, but I'm thinking when she's teeny and for the first month or so I'll use disposables until I figure out which cloth ones to go with. I want to do some sort of "all in ones". Like the little g diapers..but I've heard those leak.

Jeff9 said...

The best way to clean cloth diapers is to pre-rinse them off in the toilet using a Bathroom Bidet Sprayer. So convenient and if you are trying to help the environment (and your pocket book) you can give it a double whammy by virtually eliminating toilet paper use, at the same time as you benefit from using it on the diapers, by using it on yourself. I think Dr. Oz on Oprah said it best: "if you had pee or poop on your hand, you wouldn't wipe it off with paper, would you? You'd wash it off" Available at www.bathroomsprayers.com they come in an inexpensive kit and can be installed without a plumber. And after using one of these you won't know how you lasted all those years with wadded up handfuls of toilet paper. Now we're talking green and helping the environment without any pain.